Friday, March 5, 2010

What's Hungarian for Hangover?

I will arrive in Hungary Sunday, the first leg of a multi-country trip to Budapest, Brussels and London. I figured finding the perfect spirit in Hungary and the UK would be easy since I am already familar with Palinka from Hungary and everybody knows that the UK is associated with gin.

However, I was having a bit of trouble finding the right spirit for Belgium. The spirit that seemed most appropriate to track down in Brussels was a Belgium-style gin called genever. But what I also learned in my research was that the UK was far from having the best claim to gin.

The only thing to do then is to wait until I arrive and ask some local bartenders for their recommendation for the spirit of Belgium and the UK.

(By the way, the answer to the question about Hungarian for hangover is: másnaposságtól.)

No comments:

Post a Comment