Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Krupnik - Better than Cough Syrup


I was introduced to Krupnik last year at the home of a Polish farmer about an hour outside Warsaw where we sat around his dining room table pouring shots. This is no doubt the best way to be introduced to any drink. I didn't know at the time that Krupnik was a honey-flavored vodka-based liqueur, traditionally made from honey and herbs. The variety we were drinking was cherry flavored with a spicy aroma. I couldn't tell much about the drink we were having though since it was the farmers homemade stash from an unlabeled bottle. What I did know was that it was sweet with a strong taste of cherries and a sour after taste. After finishing our toasts the farmer, a former member of parliament, handed me a full bottle of the unlabeled cherry flavored krupnik. I have the bottle at home and only take it out on special occasions, sharing it sparingly with friends and family. Of course, I did pour a dram to sip as I write this to create the atmosphere and revive the memories.

There are generally two reactions among my guests to their first taste of the cherry krupnik. Either they love it or they cringe at the taste, which is a little too close to cherry flavored cough syrup for some.


According to wikipedia, krupnik is a Lithuanian name which means that it is not the sole possession of Poland, unlike Becherovka in the Czech Republic or Palinka in Hungary. Nevertheless this is a common drink in Poland and presents a more interesting picture of the country than purchasing a common bottle of vodka. Next time I travel to Poland I will definitely be trying the honey variety without the cherry flavor to taste the true spirit of Polish krupnik (unless I break down and buy a bottle in the U.S. first).


You can pick up a wide selection of krupniks at http://www4.dealtime.com/-krupnik+liquor, which range in price from $15-20.

No comments:

Post a Comment