Friday, February 26, 2010

What to buy when you get there


I like to travel... and I do it a lot. Sometimes more than is good for me, at least according to my would like. But how can I say no. I enjoy the food, the culture, the experiences and the feeling of being in some exotic locale, especially when it's for the first time.

There is nothing quite like sitting at the Long Bar of Raffles Hotel in Singapore and sipping your first true Singapore Sling. The challenge for me is always what to bring back from my adventures abroad to refresh the memory and transport the spirit back to that distant land.

Several years ago I began collecting beer, wine and, especially, spirits from my travels. Over the years I've found that there are limitations to collecting beer and wine (I will return to this in a future post) and I have now focused my attention, and my searches, on spirits.

This blog is devoted to the quest for the perfect spirit to bring back from each of your adventures abroad. What should grab if you only have space for one bottle when traveling to China or Vietnam, for example? The answers, respectively, are Wuliangye and Hanoi Vokda. Why? Well that's another thing I hope to cover in these posts.

I hope that others share a love for travel as well as the occasional shot of a strange new liquor. Whether you love the new spirit it or hate, you will never regret buying it because a bottle of spirits will provide countless stories as you imbibe with friends. It will also provide the opportunity to make some new ones.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I too think local liquor helps makes the experience, but when travelling our time is too short to try everything. This blog is a much needed buyers guide abroad, and if we're lucky, stateside.

    ReplyDelete